March 6, 2019
Registration opens December 14, 2018
Session 1: Advancements in Autism Interventions
9:00 am-3:00 pm. Target Audience: Service providers, educators, and parents. CEU = 4.5 contact hours
Behavior analysis is considered the gold standard in developing socially significant interventions for individuals diagnosed with autism. Over the past 20 years, advancements have been made relating to understanding the diagnosis of autism and the application of behavior analysis. Dr. Miller will provide a summary of these advancements in 3 key areas: instructional control, motivation and pairing, and early intervention. The workshop will include video examples demonstrating these advancements, discussion of the research supporting these advancements, and opportunities to practice applying this information in small groups.
Session II: "The Seven Steps to Instructional Control": Ethics and Alternatives to Traditional Escape Extinction
3:30 pm-5:30 pm. Target Audience: Board Certified Behavior Analysts, Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analysts, or students completing an ABA course sequence. CEU = 2.0 contact hours available to BCBAs and BCaBAs only
Megan Miller, Ph.D., BCBA-D, LBA is the co-founder of Navigation Behavioral Consulting and CEO of PEAK ABA Solutions. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from John Carroll University in 2004 and obtained a Master’s degree in Psychology with a Specialization in Applied Behavior Analysis from Florida State University in 2007. Megan earned her Ph.D. in Special Education and Behavior Analysis at The Ohio State University in 2015. Dr. Miller’s early training in behavior analysis occurred at the Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism as a volunteer/intern in 2003.
Since that time, she has provided services to over 100 children diagnosed with autism and other disabilities. Dr. Miller has taught courses in behavior analysis and special education at the University of Mary Washington, University of West Florida, The Ohio State University, Florida State University, and Southern Illinois University. She has co-authored journal articles published in the Journal of Developmental Physical Disability, Behavior Analysis in Practice, and Teaching Exceptional Children. She also co-authored “The 7 Steps to Earning Instructional Control” with Robert Schramm, BCBA.
Megan has provided over 40 presentations to numerous professional organizations, including the Association for Behavior Analysis International, the Florida Association for Behavior Analysis, the Association for Behavior Analysis International, the Ohio Association for Behavior Analysis, and the Emerald Coast Association for Behavior Analysis.
Oklahoma City metro area
Continuing education approval will be applied for with the following boards for CEU credit. All attendees will need to retain a copy of their certificate of attendance in the event of an audit. Certificates of Attendance are available to Professional / Educator registrants only.
Certified Behavior Analysts: The Oklahoma Autism Network, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center has been authorized as a provider of Type II continuing education by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board, Inc. ACE Provider Number OP-18-2901.
Licensed Professional Counselors and Licensed Marital and Family Therapists: State Board of Behavioral Health Licensure.
Occupational Therapists: Occupational Therapy Committee, State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision.
OKDHS-DDS: Oklahoma Department of Human Services, Developmental Disabilities Services.
Physical Therapists: Physical Therapy Committee, State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision.
Psychologists: Oklahoma Board of Examiners of Psychologists, The University of Oklahoma is an approved provider.
Social Workers: Oklahoma Board of Licensed Social Workers, CE Provider number: 20180027.
Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists: Oklahoma Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology.
A training series provided by the Oklahoma Autism Network
About the ConnectedKids Training Series:
ConnectedKids is a program for parents to learn how to use developmental and behavioral (ABA) strategies with their child with Autism Spectrum Disorder. The focus of the program is to increase the child’s social communication and engagement skills. We are offering the ConnectedKids program in an intensive, interactive, and in-class training over four full-days. The program, scheduled over a three-month period, allows for practice of strategies between training days. Parents or primary caregivers who participate in the training will learn:
- to use strategies to increase your child’s interest in interacting with you and others in your family;
- to use your child’s interest in an activity to teach new social-communication skills, such as requesting, following directions, playing with toys, and imitating others;
- to use prompting and reinforcement to teach new skills, which are key applied behavior analysis (ABA) techniques that help your child develop new, more complex skills;
- to identify what skills to teach your child and how to create opportunities to teach during play and daily routines;
- about resources in the community; and
- to advocate for your child in a collaborative way.
What is Required:
- Attend all four days of training. From each family participating, at least one (the same) parent or caregiver must attend all sessions because the information during each session is based on what was learned during prior sessions.
- The child must be between 2 and 6 1/2 years of age during the time of the training.
- Complete homework and practice with your child at home between training sessions.
- Record short 3-5 minute videos of you and your child playing together to demonstrate use of the new strategies you are learning. Videos may be viewed during training.
Dates, Time, Location and Other Information:
- August 31, 2018; September 21, 2018; October 12, 2018; October 26, 2018
- All trainings are scheduled from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm at the OUHSC campus in Oklahoma City.
- Registration is $30 to cover the cost of materials
- Participation is limited to 8 families.
For More Information Contact:
Ginger Wells, MSW at 405.271.2131 ext. 47117 or email@example.com