Parent Page: Navigating Autism id: 31219 Active Page: SSIid:31220

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Social security income (SSI) can provide basic financial assistance to eligible children and adults with disabilities.  To be considered eligible, an individual must meet Social Security’s definition of disability as well as meet the household income and resource limits.

For children under the age of 18, this means that some parental resources and income are included in the household limits.  This is a process called deeming.  If deemed parental resources and income are above the limits, a child who is medically eligible for SSI may be declined because the household resources and income are deemed to be too high.  But what happens when a child turns 18?  Does anything change?

The short answer is yes.  While there does continue to be specific disability and income requirements that need to be met after a person turns 18, the process of deeming no longer applies.  Deeming, the counting of some of the parent resources and income toward the individual’s application for SSI, stops the month after a person turns 18 years old.  This means that a person who previously could not receive SSI because of deeming could be eligible for SSI after he or she turns 18 years old.  Individuals and families will need to contact Social Security for more information about their specific situation.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources.

For more information about the program, eligibility requirements and application:

Find a local Social Security Administration office
Call: 1-800-772-1213
Visit the Social Security Administration website

Supplemental Security Income-Disabled Children's Program (SSI-DCP)

SSI-DCP is a program that provides services to children between the age of birth and age 18 who receive a Supplemental Security Income payment from SSI.  

Contact your local county Department of Human Services (DHS):  DHS County Offices
Visit the Department of Human Services website:  Disabled Children's Program Frequently Asked Questions

For more general information, please visit: