The transition to adult life is a big step for the person with ASD and for their family.  Following the transition out of high school individuals and families find themselves learning to navigate adult life, where fewer formal supports, such as public school, are available.  We will be continually adding information to this section of the website to help adults with ASD and their families access the supports and services needed to achieve success in adult life.

Connecting with Older Adults

Connecting with people who share similar life experiences is important for all of us.  The groups below offer an opportunity for teens and adults with ASD to get together.



All Star Bowling (all ages)
Program of
Every Saturday at 11am
Bronco Bowl
133 N. Mustang Rd., Mustang, OK 73064


Teen2Teen (12 - 16 years)

Avengers of Autism (17-24 years)

Heroes (25 years and up)

All above groups meet as part of EdmondAutism monthly meetings,
A program of
Second Tuesday of every month from 6:30 - 8:30
First Presbyterian Church of Edmond


Teen Connection (13 - 18 years)
Program of
Second Monday of every month from 6:30 - 8:30


Teen Connections (middle and high school age)
Program of TARC
Fourth Wednesday of each month from 4:30 - 6:00
TARC office at 2516 E. 71st St, Suite A
Contact: Sherilyn or Jae at 918.582.8272

Links (Adults with Asperger's syndrome)
Program of TARC
Third Wednesday of each month from 6:30 - 8:00
TARC office at 2516 E. 71st St, Suite A
Contact: Jae at 918.582.8272 or


Teen Connection (13 - 18 years)
Connection Point (18 years and up)
Above groups meet as part of Autism Canadian Valley monthly meeting,
A program of
Second Tuesday of every month from 7:00 - 9:00
Church of Christ South Yukon


Finding and  maintaining employment is one sign of success in adult life.  However, for many individuals with ASD employment can be a challenge.  Success in employment looks different for each person, ranging from part to full time working for a company, individual, or for oneself.  Regardless of the level of employment or the skill level of the person with ASD, many people require some level of support to experience success in this area. 

High School Students

Youth preparing for the transition out of high school should have a transition plan included as part of their Individualized Education Program (IEP).  This plan may include employment and experiences to prepare the student for work.  The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires that transition services be in effect not later than the student’s ninth-grade year or by the age of 16, whichever occurs first.  The Oklahoma State Department of Education has additional information about this process available on their website at .    


Individuals with ASD may begin the search for employment at some point after high school.  Some individuals find employment but find they need some level of support along the way, particularly if expectations at their job change and require skills that are challenging for the person.   An Individuals may find the support they need through a friend or family member, through a counselor or therapist, or through the Human Resources Department at their place of employment.  Additional resources that may be of help are provided below. 

Oklahoma Agency Resources

  • The Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services (DRS) assists high-school students and adults with disabilities by expanding opportunities for employment, independent life, and economic self-sufficiency.  High-school students or adults can access DRS services through an application process.  For details about DRS services view their website or call 1.800.845.8476.
  • The Oklahoma Department of Human Services, Developmental Disabilities Services provides Community Integrated Employment (CIE) to individuals with intellectual disabilities.  You can learn more about this program at their website.


There are some changes to be considered when a person with a disability, including autism, reaches the age of majority.  In Oklahoma, and most other states, the age of majority is 18 years old.  At that time, a person is legally considered to be an adult and parents no longer have the legal rights, such as accessing confidential health records and school records, that they were entitled to throughout their child’s younger years.  Parents are no longer their child’s legal guardian.

Not all people who have Autism Spectrum Disorder need the protection of Guardianship.  Obtaining Guardianship for a person should be carefully investigated.  A person’s ability to care for themself, make decisions that are in their own best interest, and managing their financial assets are some of the things that should be considered.  Additionally, the person’s personal interests, needs, strengths, and weaknesses are important in making plans for their future. 

Becoming the guardian of a person is a legal procedure that requires the appearance before a Judge. Guardianship does not require hiring an attorney.  There are different types of Guardianship and they can differ from state to state.  While the services of an attorney are not absolutely necessary, it can be beneficial to consult with an attorney before filing legal papers and heading to court.

Additional Resources

  • LegalAidOK provides resources to families seeking guardianship in Oklahoma
  • Autism Speaks provides resources to families making decisions regarding long-term planning, including guardianship