School age refers to children aged 3 through 21 years.  Options include home school, private school, public school, and private school.  Explore the tabs below to learn about school programs and services.

Educating a child at home is one option.  The Oklahoma State Department of Education has resources related to Oklahoma acedemic standards and links to home educator organizations and associations.   For more information visit their Home School webpage. 

Coming soon.  Please check back for updates.

Service options for children aged 3 through 21 years include special education services through local school districts, which are publicly funded education programs.  The Oklahoma State Department of Education is responsible for ensuring local school districts comply with the requirement of the Individual's with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA), 2004.

The Oklahoma State Department of Education published a set of three handbooks including Special Education Policies, the Special Education Handbook and the Special Education Process Guide that describe the IDEA and the policies and procedures for special education in Oklahoma.  To learn more about special education visit or call (405) 521-3351.

Please visit our Provider Directory for a list of professionals.

Secondary-transition is the process of preparing adolescents for life beyond high school, including independent living, employment, and post-secondary education. Service options for transition include publicly funded programs, such as special education through the local public schools, and independent professionals or community programs. The process of preparing for transition requires thought, careful planning, and collaboration between the individual with ASD, primary caregivers, and professionals.

Nationally, eligible students can access transition services through the local public schools. The state department of education is responsible for ensuring the local school districts comply with the requirement of the Individual's with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA), 2004. IDEA requires that transition services be in effect not later than the student’s ninth grade year or by the age of 16, whichever occurs first.  The Oklahoma State Department of Education has additional information about this process available on their website at .    

Additional Resources:

  • The Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services (DRS) assists high-school students and adults with disabilites by expanding opportunities for employment, independent life, and economic self-sufficiency.  High-school students can access DRS services as part of their educational program as a part of the Individualized Education Plan (IEP).  Adults can access DRS services through an application process.  For details about DRS services view their website or call 1.800.487.4042.
  • Life Journey Through Autism: A Guide for Transition to Adulthood, by the Organization for Autism Research, provides an overview of the transition to adulthood process for persons with ASD.
  • The Zarrow Center for Learning Enrichment facilitates successful secondary and post-secondary educational, vocational, and person outcomes for students and adults with disabilities.  Their website provides a variety of resources to assist families and professioals in the transition process.